You are here: Skip breadcrumbAttorney-General's Department >> Rights and protections >> Intellectual property and copyright >> Licensing and use of Commonwealth material

Licensing and use of Commonwealth material

Members of the public or organisations who want to use Australian Government copyright material need permission from the agency that published it.

Australian Government agencies are required to release copyright public sector information under Creative Commons by licence or other open content licences, wherever possible. This is in line with recommendations of Government 2.0 Taskforce Report.

As a result of the report the Commonwealth Copyright Administration (CCA) was disbanded.

This department no longer coordinates licences on behalf of other government agencies. Each agency is responsible for the management of its own copyright licences.

An agency's copyright notice can usually be found at the front or back of a published document, or through a link at the very bottom of its web pages. Contact the relevant agency's copyright section directly if a copyright notice still refers to the CCA or requires further permission for use of the material.

If the agency that produced the material no longer exists, you should contact the current agency with the relevant policy responsibility.

You can find the relevant agency online through the Departments and agencies directory on the website.