You are here: Skip breadcrumbAttorney-General's Department >> Families and marriage >> Marriage >> For marriage celebrants

For marriage celebrants

​This is the official site of the Australian Government Marriage Celebrants Program. Anything you read elsewhere that is inconsistent with this site is not accurate.

The Marriage Law and Celebrants Section are pleased to advise that the new self-service portal and the online application form are now fully operational. Login details for the new portal, along with invoices, will be progressively sent to celebrants in July. If you have not received your invoice for the annual registration charge please contact the Marriage Law and Celebrants Section urgently.


This page has information on the following:

Self-service portal for marriage celebrants

The self-service portal enables marriage celebrants to securely manage their information and engage with the department. Marriage celebrants should use their 'A' number to log into the self-service portal.

Update on changes to the Marriage Celebrants Program

Changes to the Marriage Celebrants Program came into effect on 1 July 2014.

The Registrar of Marriage Celebrants wrote to all Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrants about the changes. For more details regarding these changes please see the Changes to the Marriage Celebrants Program page.

If you would like to cease practising as a marriage celebrant, you can formally resign by completing the 'Request for removal from the Register of Marriage Celebrants' form available on the administration page.

Annual registration charge

As at 1 July 2014, all Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrants will be charged an annual celebrant registration charge of $240.

In limited circumstances, it is possible to apply for an exemption from the annual celebrant registration charge. Please see below Guidelines for Seeking an Exemption from the Annual Celebrant Registration Charge to check your eligibility.

A non-refundable application processing fee of $30 will be charged on all exemption applications.

Your role as a marriage celebrant—obligations and responsibilities

Being a celebrant is a special and important role in the community. It also attracts serious obligations and legal responsibilities. Failure to meet those responsibilities can have serious consequences.

This page outlines some important information about your role as a Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrant.

You must:

Joining a celebrant association may also be beneficial in your role as celebrant.

Updating changes to your contact details or personal circumstances

You must notify the Department of changes to your contact details or personal circumstances if you are a Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrant. This is a requirement under section 39G of the Marriage Act.

This includes a change in your occupation, business interests or a criminal conviction.

To do this, please log into the self-service portal. Alternatively you may complete the appropriate form and send it to the department.

Notifying the registry of births, deaths and marriages about changes to your contact details is not the same as notifying the Attorney-General's Department. Therefore, you must notify the department separately.

Key resources

The Guidelines on the Marriage Act 1961 for marriage celebrants contains essential information on solemnising marriages.

The Conflict of interest and benefit to business guidelines will help you to identify, disclose and avoid a potential conflict of interest or benefit to a business.

The Advertising guidelines provide advice on how to develop your advertising material.

The Marriage Celebrant Matters newsletter updates celebrants with important news and events.

Ongoing professional development

You must complete five hours of professional development activities each calendar year. This includes compulsory and elective activities.

Disciplinary measures may be imposed on you if you fail to complete this obligation.

You must choose your 2014 activities from the list below.

Four registered training organisations provide these activities:

  1. AssentTECS
  2. Australian Celebrations Training
  3. International College of Celebrancy
  4. Gordon Institute of TAFE.

You should contact them directly for information. There are face-to-face and distance education options.

In 2014, some celebrant association conferences have been approved to count towards elective ongoing professional development requirements for Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrants. Celebrants attending these conferences must ensure they complete the 2014 compulsory ongoing professional development activity to satisfy their requirements.

The below document contains a list of celebrant association conferences that have been approved to count towards the elective component of the 2014 ongoing professional development (OPD) requirements for Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrants. Only association conferences on this list will count towards your elective ongoing professional development requirements. The list will be updated throughout the year.

Celebrant associations can apply to have their association conferences in 2014 count towards elective ongoing professional development requirements for Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrants. Associations wishing to apply for this should use the following form:

In June 2013, the department developed a paper outlining the principles and objectives of ongoing professional development which must be met by approved providers and celebrant association conferences from 2014.

To seek an exemption from OPD obligations you must meet the criteria contained within the Guidelines for Exemption from OPD below. Eligible celebrants should complete an exemption application form which is located within the self-service portal or on the Administration page.

Performance reviews

Your performance as a celebrant will be reviewed regularly to ensure it is satisfactory.

Your review will be based on the information we have in our files and database. You may also be asked for more information.

You will be informed when a review is due to take place and the period of time it will cover.

You will also be informed of the outcome once the review is completed.

If your performance is unsatisfactory, disciplinary measures may be imposed. You will have the opportunity to comment if this is the outcome of your review.

More information is in the pack you received when you were registered as a celebrant.

Marriage stationery

CanPrint Communications is contracted by the Australian Government to supply marriage stationery—including marriage registers, official forms and certificates.

Authorised marriage celebrants can purchase marriage stationery by contacting CanPrint Communications. Your marriage celebrant registration number must be quoted when purchasing marriage stationery.

Visit the CanPrint Communications website for information, order forms and contact details. You can email CanPrint Communications at

CanPrint Communications is the only authorised supplier of the Form 15 Certificate of Marriage. Visit the downloads section on this webpage for forms and certificates that can be downloaded at no cost.

Marriage celebrants may generate or purchase marriage forms from other sources, but must ensure that such forms substantially comply with the forms specified in the Marriage Regulations 1963. If such forms do not comply, the registries of births, deaths and marriages have the authority under the Marriage Act 1961 to reject them.

Registries of births, deaths and marriages

Marriage celebrants are reminded that they must register marriages with the registry of births, deaths and marriages in the state or territory in which the marriage took place within fourteen days.

Department of Social Services: Stronger Relationships

The Australian Government has introduced the Stronger Relationships trial to run from 1 July 2014 to 30 June 2015.

The trial provides up to 100,000 couples with $200 towards relationship education and counselling with an approved provider of their choice.

Couples aged 18 and over in a committed relationship and who are Australian citizens or permanent residents can register on the Department of Social Services website.