You are here: Skip breadcrumbAttorney-General's Department >> Families and marriage >> Marriage >> Find a marriage celebrant

 Find a marriage celebrant

Under Australian law, only an authorised celebrant can legally solemnise marriages within Australia. The department maintains lists of all authorised celebrants in Australia. These lists can be used to search for authorised celebrants in your state or territory and can be broken down by type of authorisation.

Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrants

These celebrants are granted registration and regulated by the Attorney‑General's Department. A list of all authorised Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrants is contained in the links below. These lists also include celebrants who identify as a religious marriage celebrant. A fact sheet on religious marriage celebrants is also available here.

Ministers of religion

These celebrants are regulated by state and territory registries of births, deaths and marriages and their respective religious organisation as listed in the Marriage (Recognised Denominations) Amendment (New Denominations and Other Name Changes) Proclamation 2018.

The department maintains a list of all Ministers of religion of recognised denominations who perform religious ceremonies.

State and territory officers

These celebrants are authorised by state and territory delegation to perform marriage ceremonies.  The department maintains a list of all authorised State and territory officers—officers of a court or the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.

Prescribed authorities

A prescribed authority may authorise a marriage to be solemnised despite the authorised celebrant receiving the Notice of Intention to Marry (NOIM) within one month of the date of the marriage, which is known as a shortening of time. The department maintains a list of prescribed authorities.