You are here: Skip breadcrumbAttorney-General's Department >> Families and marriage >> Marriage >> Recognised religious denominations

Contact details

 Recognised religious denominations

Many religious organisations allow their ministers to perform marriage ceremonies.

For ministers to legally perform a ceremony, the organisation must:

Ministers of religion not associated with a recognised denomination may be authorised as a marriage celebrant or religious marriage celebrant through the Marriage Celebrants Programme.

The Marriage (Recognised Denominations) Proclamation 2018 lists all religious organisations recognised for the purposes of the Marriage Act. The Proclamation was made by the Governor-General on 21 November 2018, and commenced on 27 November 2018. It replaces the Marriage (Recognised Denominations) Proclamation 2007, which was due to sunset on 1 April 2019.

Marriage stationery

Authorised marriage celebrants including ministers of religion can download marriage forms from the Marriage stationery and forms page.

Becoming a recognised denomination

Religious organisations may apply for proclamation as a recognised denomination under the Marriage Act 1961.

The guidelines on how to become a recognised denomination were revised in May 2013. More information is available in the following information sheet:

Applications should be sent to:

Attn: Marriage Law and Celebrants Section
Attorney-General's Department
3–5 National Circuit

For more information about recognised denominations, email marriagecelebrantsrds@ag.gov.au.​​​​​​​