You are here: Skip breadcrumbAttorney-General's Department >> Publications >> Statutory declarations

A statutory declaration is a written statement which you sign and declare to be true before an authorised witness.

Statutory declarations are commonly used to legally verify names, addresses, insurance claims, superannuation matters, lost passports and as evidence to support sick leave.

If you are unsure if a statutory declaration can be used for your circumstances, check with the organisation that has requested the statutory declaration, or consider seeking legal advice.

More information is also available on the Frequently asked questions about statutory declarations page.

Commonwealth statutory declarations

Commonwealth statutory declarations are generally used in matters concerning the Commonwealth or the Australian Capital Territory.

Anyone can make a statutory declaration under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959, including minors and retirees.

A company or organisation cannot make a statutory declaration itself. However, someone in the organisation who holds the appropriate office or has the relevant knowledge can make the statutory declaration.

This department cannot provide legal advice about statutory declarations.

Either version of the downloadable Commonwealth statutory declaration form may be used:

State and territory statutory declarations

State and territory statutory declarations are different to Commonwealth statutory declarations.

To enquire about statutory declarations in your state or territory, contact the relevant department below:

Authorised witnesses

Common examples of an authorised witness include a doctor, lawyer or Justice of the Peace. Police stations often have a Justice of the Peace available at certain times.

A witness for a statutory declaration should:

  • check the identity of the person making the statutory declaration
  • check to the extent possible, that the person is competent to make the statutory declaration
  • remind the person that he or she will be claiming that the statements in the declaration (and any attachments) are true and that there are penalties for making false statements
  • check that the form does not contain any blanks.

A person who is authorised to witness a state or territory statutory declaration is also authorised to witness a Commonwealth statutory declaration made within that state or territory. For example, a person who is authorised by the Victorian Evidence Act 1958 to witness Victorian statutory declarations can witness a Commonwealth statutory declaration that is made in Victoria.

False information or witnesses

If you intentionally make a false statement in a statutory declaration you can be charged with a criminal offence which carries the possibility of up to four years imprisonment.

If you have concerns about a false statutory declaration or witness, contact the Australian Federal Police. You should also contact the organisation or profession that is responsible for regulating that body of professionals.

Back to top