How we manage the Marriage Celebrants Program
The following information outlines the services we provide under the Marriage Celebrants Program, and how we recover our costs and manage our performance.
We manage the Marriage Celebrants Program in Australia.
We review applications for registration as a Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrant, including:
- assessing answers in the application, and
- performing a criminal history check.
We also provide ongoing services for Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrants, such as:
- monitoring performance
- investigating complaints
- managing fees
- reviewing applications for exemptions
- providing information via phone, email and this website
Download information about the Marriage Celebrants Program
How we recover our costs
- an application fee for people seeking to become Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrants
- an annual registration charge for existing Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrants (this has been waived for the 2020-21 financial year)
- fees for requesting an exemption from fees and charges
These make sure that our costs for managing the Marriage Celebrants Program are covered by those in the program and not the general public.
Download the cost recovery statement
The cost recovery statement details:
- how we set up costs for each part of the program
- financial status
- performance on the activity
- Cost Recovery Implementation Statement 2020-21
How we manage our performance
We are required to self-assess the Marriage Celebrants Program against 6 outcomes-based key performance indicators (KPIs):
- reducing regulatory burden
- risk-based and proportionate approaches
- efficient and coordinated monitoring
- continuous improvement
Download the performance framework
This document details the framework we follow to manage our performance:
Download yearly performance reports
Each year we report on our performance. New reports are published as they become available.
For earlier performance reports, contact us.
Privacy and the Marriage Celebrants Program
How we manage your personal information under the Marriage Celebrants Program.
We take great care to meet our privacy responsibilities under:
- the Privacy Act 1988
- the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs)
We will only use your personal information to manage your involvement in the Marriage Celebrants Program.
This includes activities such as:
- assessing your application to be a Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrant
- monitoring your ongoing professional development
- conducting performance reviews
- investigating complaints
- imposing disciplinary measures
- publishing information which is required under the Marriage Act
Who we may ask for information or give information to
To manage your registration we may need to get information about you from, or give information about you to:
- the Register of Marriage Celebrants
- any state or territory registry of births, deaths and marriages in Australia
- any celebrant association you may belong to
- any religious body or organisation you belong to
- any training providers involved in your qualifications or ongoing professional development
- other areas in our department
- any law enforcement authorities
- other government departments that help us do our work
- any other body that we are legally required to give information to (such as a court)
We will generally only collect sensitive information with your consent. This includes your criminal history and religious beliefs.
Ask or complain about your privacy
Contact our Privacy Contact Officer if you want to:
- access your personal information
- correct your personal information
- ask us about how we treat your personal information
- complain about your privacy
Download our privacy notice
Marriage Law and Celebrants Section
1800 550 343
Outside Australia: +61 2 6141 3111
3-5 National Circuit BARTON ACT 2600