Application tips and how to apply via our online portal.
You can apply online for:
- current vacancies
- expressions of interest.
Click on a position to see a summary of the role. Scroll down to see and download the vacancy information kit.
We encourage and welcome applications from all Australians. This includes:
- people with disability
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- LGBTIQ+ people
- people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- mature age people.
Find out if you are eligible
To work with us, you must:
- be an Australian citizen
- successfully undergo a police record check
- be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the required level
- satisfy a probationary period.
Some positions also require formal legal qualifications. This may include a law degree from an Australian tertiary institution, or a comparable overseas qualification that is deemed appropriate by the Secretary.
Tips for preparing your application
How to prepare your resume
You will need to attach a current resume when you apply for a position.
This is how we prefer resumes to be structured:
- write your name at the top of your resume
- do not include personal information such as marital status, age, height, photos, etc.
- list your employment experience starting with your most recent employment, and include any volunteer positions
- include your qualifications and education
- keep each section uniform, using bullet points where appropriate
- aim for 2-3 pages long
- make sure your resume is accurate and complete
- save your document in Word or PDF format.
How to prepare your statement of claims
A great statement of claims is clear and concise.
It showcases your skills, knowledge, experience and qualifications. We also care about how your personal qualities add value to the role you are applying for.
Use real examples from your work. You can also include examples from study or community experiences if they are relevant.
You should make sure your examples address our performance expectations.
When writing an example, clearly explain:
- the situation or problem
- your personal role you took
- the methods you used
- any challenges you overcame
- the outcome.
Other tips include:
- Use active language, such as 'I led a team that…' not 'The team that [did this] was led by me'
- Back up your claims, such as 'I demonstrated strong negotiation skills when I …' not 'I have strong negotiation skills'
- Ensure your application is free from spelling and punctuation errors
- Save your document in a PDF format.
- Copy and paste your statement of claims into the system.
For further information on how to best prepare your statement of claims the APSC have produced a publication called Cracking the Code.
Submitting your application
You will need to login to submit your application.
If you don't have a login, click apply and follow the steps to create an account.
Be sure to use a current personal email, as we will use this email address to contact you about your application. A work email address may not receive notifications from the recruitment system.
When you have an account, you can:
- apply for multiple vacancies
- save and return to your application later
- see past applications.
How we treat your private information
We take your privacy very seriously.
Our department is bound by the Privacy Act 1988, including the Australian Privacy Principles.
Please speak with HR Assist if you want to:
- access your personal information
- correct your personal information
- ask us about how we treat your personal information.
If you have a complaint about how we've managed your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer.
Find out more about the June 2018 PageUp data security breach.
Accessibility and reasonable adjustments
If you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, speak to the vacancy contact officer.
Find out more about the accessibility features of our website.
For help with making or receiving relay calls, contact the NRS Helpdesk:
- Phone: 1800 555 660
- Fax: 1800 555 690
- SMS: 0416 001 350
- Email: email@example.com
- Online: NRS Helpdesk online form.
The NRS Helpdesk operates from 8am to 6pm, Eastern Standard Time.
Visit Accesshub to find out more about relay calls and the other communication options for people who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment.
Get more information
For questions about the role, speak to the contact officer listed in the vacancy information kit.
For questions about the application process, call our HR Assist team on 02 6141 6111 (option 2) between 8.30am and 5.00pm AET, or email us.
02 6141 6111
Outside Australia: +61 2 6141 6111
3–5 National Circuit BARTON ACT 2600