Meeting of Attorneys-General
About the Meeting of Attorneys-General
In 2020, there was a Ministerial Review into former Council of Australian Governments (COAG) Councils and Forums including the Council of Attorneys-General (CAG). National Cabinet endorsed the review’s recommendations for CAG to become a time-limited body and convene only when needed to progress up to 3 items of national priority, with specified sun-setting timeframes of no longer than 12 months.
The new body, known as the Meeting of Attorneys-General (MAG), comprises Attorneys-General from the Australian Government, all states and territories, and the New Zealand Minister for Justice. Its purpose is to implement a national and trans-Tasman focus on maintaining and promoting best practice in law reform.
In 2021, the MAG agenda will consist of 3 national priorities:
- Family Violence – National Information Sharing Framework
- Protecting Older Australians – National Register of Enduring Powers of Attorney, and
- Model Defamation Reform.
For more information on the review into former COAG Councils and Forums, visit the Effective Commonwealth-State Relations page of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet website.
The inaugural MAG meeting was held on Wednesday 31 March 2021 via video conference.
Contacting the Meeting of Attorneys-General
Correspondence can be sent to MAGSecretariat@ag.gov.au or:
Meeting of Attorneys-General (MAG)
3-5 National Circuit
BARTON ACT 2600
The Meeting of Attorneys-General convenes annually. Meeting communiqués are available below:
The Council of Attorneys-General met up to twice a year, including a joint meeting with the Ministerial Council for Police and Emergency Management. Meeting communiqués are available below:
- Council of Attorneys-General (CAG) communiqué – July 2020
- Council of Attorneys-General (CAG) communiqué – November 2019
- Council of Attorneys-General (CAG) communiqué – June 2019
- Council of Attorneys-General and Ministerial Council for Police and Emergency Management 28 June 2019
- Council of Attorneys-General (CAG) communiqué – November 2018
- Council of Attorneys-General (CAG) communiqué – June 2018
- Council of Attorneys-General (CAG) communiqué – December 2017
3-5 National Circuit, BARTON ACT 2600